New Twitter Benefits Usability and Sharing
During the past few months there have been a number of changes within the social media world, with two major social media platforms rolling out new look websites – creating a contrast in opinions.
On one side you have Digg, a massive social bookmark and sharing website which initially saw its traffic drop due to its new web design and features with a backlash from its user base. On the other hand you have the new Twitter, which announced a complete overhaul of the backend and website interface which so far has been met with positive remarks in general.
New Twitter Benefits
The new design brings an improved usable interface and rich media features such as:
- Never-ending scrolling tweet time-line
- Embedded rich media interface in tweets (Youtube, Flickr, TwitPic)
- Its faster and a much cleaner interface to use
- Homepage keeps the feed going whilst a user’s profile can be viewed including replies
Content Sharing through Social Media
There are quite a lot of people who think of twitter just like a Facebook style status update. However, Twitter has risen to be in my mind one of the better ways to share content – not just your own either.
There were a few interesting statistics given about Twitter as they launched their new interface:
- There are on average 370,000 new sign ups a day overall
- We’re now seeing 90 million tweets a day – or above on average
- About 25% of tweets contain links
That’s a lot of tweets with something that is constantly growing for both people and businesses. The line that stood out for me was a tweet by Evan Williams, Twitter co-founder, saying the following:
It is interesting how different industries are using social media, in SEO everybody seems to be tweeting the latest blog post they have been reading. Many bloggers use this to their advantage as they build up online connections and receive traffic. Whenever there are industry events, there are a flood of tweets about it, together with the event hashtag – yes micro-blogging via Twitter is so popular there are even official event #hashtags used. Ironically, Facebook recently went down for everyone and released status updates on their twitter account.
Why Create a Twitter Account & Share Content?
- Help network with others in the industry or potential new leads
- Connect with any followers and provide direct feedback to any questions – quickly
- Provide and receive leading industry news and resources – others will share your content
- Build the brand name in the social media world and a community around it
- Content is king which may also attract links – helping your SEO efforts
[notice] The biggest thing I have found with Twitter and sharing content is the ability to keep learning the latest trends and information from everybody else in your industry, and as you learn you can also give, helping to become an authority.[/notice]
Hopefully I will be doing the same on Twitter so please follow my personal account @NadeemAnjum or this blog’s twitter feed @SearchNest